Job #: 900013
Location: Multiple Locations
Department: Rec Sports
Resume Required? No
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Group-X Instructors will lead members, in a group environment, through safe and effective fitness classes for the Recreational Sports Department. They are to design enjoyable classes that encourage participation and educate patrons on the benefits of exercise and healthy lifestyles. Class designs may include, but are not limited to: basic aerobic or calisthenics training, weight training, flexibility and stretching techniques, or the use of basic exercise equipment. Class formats may also include specialized programs such as Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, Spinning, or others. The Group-X Instructors will serve as a resource to educate members on various aspects of fitness and wellness, and are responsible in ensuring that the safety of the members is not compromised. Instructors must demonstrate a positive commitment to the mission and goals of the Recreational Sports Fitness Program.
Job Requirements & Expectations:
• Maintain current CPR, First Aid, AED, and at least one national group fitness instructor certifications (ACE, AFAA, ASCM, NAFC, Zumba, Pilates, etc..)
• Ability to teach and instruct
• Possess the current knowledge and the necessary specialized skills to lead a group exercise class
• Must enjoy training, motivating, and communicating with people
• Should have a flexible schedule, allowing last minute shifts to be filled
• Ability to work with diverse collegiate populations, and to tailor educational and coaching messages to the capabilities of each participant
• Knowledge of safe exercise technique and group exercise principles
• Become nationally certified within 3 months of being hired, and complete Rec Sports mentoring process
• Keep up-to-date with the latest health and fitness trends. Continue your knowledge and education by attending workshops, presentations, expos, conferences, etc.
• Maintain open and frequent communication with the Assistant Director of Fitness and Wellness and your co-workers, and return all emails and calls in a timely manner
• Follow Recreational Sports rules and guidelines, including equipment use and dress code
• Develop safe, creative, and progressive exercise routines
• Select appropriate music that has correct beat and rhythm based on class format
• Arrive to class location at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled start time
• Greet, introduce, and welcome all participants
• Monitor proper form and technique using positive reinforcement
• Promote classes and assist in promotions and events
• Attend all mandatory meetings set by the Recreational Sport Staff
• Obtain substitutes as needed
• Must be flexible, early morning, mid-day, evening, and weekend classes offered. Schedule will be determined by Assistant Director based on availability and experience. Class times range from 30 minutes to 1.5 hours in length. Class time includes set up, instruction, and teardown.
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on Aug. 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this new policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint websites.