Job #: 600065
Location: Michigan Union
Department: Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA)
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Office Overview: The mission in the Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA) is “to promote student development and empower the campus community around issues of diversity and social justice through the lens of race and ethnicity”. We aim to meet the needs of all students via community engagement, social justice education and leadership development. Our work is grounded in theory and strives to grow the knowledge, skills and awareness of our students and translate skills into action.
Students will be responsible for facilitating and coordinating anti-racism and coalition building workshops. The workshops will focus on Coalition building and dismantling racism through interactive exercises, dialogic based exercises, storytelling and critical reflection. Responsibilities will include:
- Working alongside a full-time MESA staff member to co-coordinate and implement different MESA foundational coalition building and anti-racism peer-led teach-in which will include the facilitation and ongoing development of curriculum
- Promoting workshops by conducting outreach to students and student organizations
- Assisting in the assessment and tracking of workshop attendance and effectiveness
- Attending required trainings, meetings, and professional development sessions designed for students to develop facilitation and leadership skills; this includes weekly meetings with supervisors and with the peer facilitator team
- Supporting the publicizing of peer-led teach-in, including but not limited to posting fliers, sending email messages, visiting offices student organizations, and using social media
Other Duties and responsibilities
- Assist informational presentations to on-campus departments/units on workshops content
- Help build connections with student organizations and student communities on behalf of the office so that MESA can better understand student needs and work to fulfill and support the diverse student communities we serve.
- September 8th, Mandatory Full Day Training
Preferences: Please submit a resume and cover letter expressing your interest and highlighting your strengths for this position.
Available Openings 3
Hours 10.0 hours per week
Hourly Rate $11.00/hour
Time Frame Fall
Contact Name Krishna Han
Contact Email email@example.com
Work Location 3000 Michigan Union