Special Event Staff
Job #: 500576
Location: Multiple Locations
Department: Conference Services
Rate: First Year Staff: $11.00/hour, Second Year Staff: $11.20/hour
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Non-Work-Study Position
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The U-M Conference and Event Services department is hiring program staff to assist with the NTI 2020 Conference this summer. We hire for 2 main positions, Staff Support and Van Drivers.
Staff Support have a wide variety of tasks that include directing participants around campus, assisting with setup of classrooms and staffing special events.
Van Driver’s key responsibility is transporting select staff and VIP guests to and from area hotels and conference events.
Time Commitment and Work Schedule:
Employment for the conference runs from approximately July 17th, 2020 to July 31st, 2020 with a mandatory training on July 17th. Shifts are available from 5:30am-10:30pm and hours can range from 20 to 40 hours per week. We will work around your class schedule.
• 1st year staff: $11/hour
• Returning staff: $11.20/hour
Student staff members are paid bi-weekly.
Responsibilities (Duties include, but are not limited to):
• Greet and direct participants around campus to class, lunch, and other conference events
• Assist with the set-up of classrooms and distribution of course materials
• Facilitate operations at crucial conference events such as opening ceremony and graduation
• Manage check-in and information desk at opening trade show
• Monitor select conference locations and change linens as needed
• Act as an ambassador for campus and the local area
• Transport participants and VIPs to various locations including conference classes, off site meals and hotels - Van Drivers
• Friendly, responsible, personable, service-oriented attitude
• Previous customer service experience preferred – not required
• Available for shifts during the two weeks, July 17 - July 31, 2020
• Attending mandatory staff training on July 17th
• Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week
• Punctual, reliable, and self-motivated
• Able to problem-solve in a patient and calm manner
• Detail oriented
• Proficient and effective oral and interpersonal communication
• Knowledge of U-M campus and Ann Arbor points of interest
• Willing to work as part of a team
• Valid US Driver’s License – Only required for Van Drivers