Job #: 500561
Location: South Quad
Department: Conference Services
Rate: Hourly rate February through May; $250-$270 stipend per week (depending on experience) June through August 12, 2018.
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Camp Coordinator, Wolverine Summer Camps
Basic Function and Responsibility
Plan and coordinate the ongoing administrative and operational activities of the residential component of all summer athletic camps. Collaborate with camp and building staff to ensure a safe and secure housing experience. Support and provide guidance to counselors. Work toward a fun experience for all campers.
General Supervision is received from the Camps Director(s) and Building Leadership Team.
Functional supervision is exercised over camp counselors and camp office staff
Time commitment and Work Schedule
This is a 40 hour/week position during the camp season. Camp Staff are required to live in the Residence Hall. Camp Coordinators will work some weekends and holidays. Approximately 20 - 30 hours of work are required during the months of March, April and May to assist with hiring of counselor staff and summer pre-planning. Regular work schedule begins in early May and runs through the middle to end of August (exact dates will be discussed with you at your interview). Variations from the commitments above must be approved by your supervisor.
1st year Coordinators: Room and Board (3 meals a day) plus $250/week taxed stipend
2nd year Coordinators: Room and Board (3 meals a day) plus $260/week taxed stipend
3rd year Coordinators: Room and Board (3 meals a day) plus $270/week taxed stipend
• Commitment to customer service and offering a quality guest experience
• Prepare administrative and operational plans for summer camp/housing operations
• Review, update and implement work plans, schedules, and procedures
• Monitor performance and safety on resident floors and also during nightly activities
• Learn and work with the conferences data-base system (Conference Programmer)
• Work with counselors and building staff to resolve operating challenges
• Participate in recruiting, hiring, training, and supervision of up to 30 camp counselors and office staff
• Assign bed spaces, coordinate logistics, and monitor services
• Collaborate with Athletic Camp staff and camper parents as needed
• Cover Duty responsibilities during the Spring Athletes utilization of dorm space in May and early June
• Coordinators are assigned area(s) of responsibility, such as: evening activities, registration, housing/building, counselor/office staff guidance.
• Coordinators are responsible for providing support and guidance to Camp Counselors and Office Staff, including on-duty tasks
• Oversee delivery of services
• Previous work experience in U-M Athletic Camps is desired, but not required
• Prior experience as a camp coordinator/counselor or in a related field is required
• Familiarity with U-M housing policies and procedures is highly desirable
• Strong commitment to customer service and offering a quality guest experience
• Enthusiasm for a high-energy and joyful camp experience is a must
• Strong desire to engage kids and be a positive role model
• Desire to be part of a work team
• Strong communication and collaboration skills are required for success in a close knit work group
Candidates must be enrolled U-M students and are expected to be ambassadors for the University of Michigan
Start date: 2/21/18 - 8/12/18
Hours per week: 36-40