Graduate Program Assistant
Job #: 300073
Location: West Quad
Rate: $13.00-$15.00, depending on experience
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
In alignment with the mission of University Housing, the overall purpose of Student Leadership is to support and develop inclusive leaders who will cultivate a sense of community in the residence halls.
To this end, University Housing has established a graduate-level intern position in the area of Student Leadership. The graduate intern will serve twenty hours per week with a focus on assisting in the advising and development of student leaders including Residence Hall Association (RHA) members, Kids Programs (K-Grams) members, and Housing Advisory Board members. In addition, the Graduate Intern will be involved in education and training efforts of the department focusing on Housing’s role in the intersection of Student Leadership and campus-wide initiatives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Student Leader Advising – 50%
• Serve as primary advisor of K-Grams
• Attend K-Grams meetings and hold bi-weekly one-on-ones with Board of Directors
• Assist with management and training of Residence Hall Association (RHA) members, K-Grams members, and Housing Advisory Board members, and ResStaff Coordinators (RCs).
Student Leadership Initiatives– 30%
• Collaborate closely with student leaders and student staff on creating, implementing, and evaluating ongoing large scale programs.
• Work with Assistant Director on developing training sessions, workshops, and programs for ResEd student staff and Student Leaders within the residence hall.
• Develop leadership opportunities to create an inclusive community among student leaders within Residence Education and University Housing.
Administration and Assessment – 20%
• Work with Assistant Director to assess the effectiveness of Student Leadership development and training
• Assist with various projects and initiatives of the department. This includes tasks such as assessment, creating training modules, facilitating workshops, research, and writing proposals.
• Work with Assistant Director to create weekly department newsletter around leadership education.
• Assist with recruiting and hiring student staff and leadership positions.
• Other duties as assigned in collaboration with University Housing.
• Enrolled as a full-time U-M student for the 2020-2021 academic year.
• Experience with diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, educational programming, student leadership development and mentoring in a higher education setting.
• Must have flexible work schedule; evening and weekends required.
• The position is an approximately 20 hour a week commitment.