Assistant in Research
Job #: 111022
Location: University Health Service (UHS)
Department: University Health Service (UHS)
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
The University of Michigan (UM) University Health Service (UHS), a unit of Student Life, is a large ambulatory, multispecialty health clinic that serves a large and diverse student body of more than 45,000 students, as well as UM faculty and staff. UHS provides clinical services throughout its primary care and numerous specialty clinics, as well as health and wellness education and promotion. Specialty clinics include: Allergy, Dermatology, Eating & Body Image Concerns, Eye Care, Nutrition, Psychiatry, Sleep, Sports Medicine, Travel and Women’s Health. UHS is committed to promoting and protecting the health of students and other members of the University community so that they achieve their educational and personal goals. Through our programs, services and partnerships, we foster lifelong learning in support of individuals' becoming active participants in their health and wellness.
As a college health center, UHS has unique and heavy reporting needs related to communicable diseases, especially respiratory, gastrointestinal and sexually transmitted infections. These needs escalate in the context of infectious disease outbreaks; recent examples include COVID-19, type-7 adenovirus, mumps, and norovirus.
UHS is seeking to hire a temporary, part-time position to assist with data collection and reporting of communicable diseases.
Data Collection & Entry, 60%
• Assist in data entry of reportable and infectious diseases to the Michigan Disease Surveillance System (MDSS).
• Collaborate with UHS Health Data Analysts to collect data from multiple data sources, including but not limited to the UHS electronic medical record (Epic) and
Lab Information System (LIS).
Reporting and Communication, 30%
• Through collaboration with Student Life Technology Solutions (SLTS) and UHS Information Technology Business Solutions (ITBS), assist in the development and
preparation of analytical tools and dashboards for tracking and measuring outcomes
• Assist in the preparation of infection prevention presentations to staff and key stakeholders
• Assist in the preparation of annual communicable disease data, periodic, and ad hoc reports, scripts and presentations
• Assist in disease surveillance, quality improvement, and UHS research projects
Administrative Integration 10%
• Provide diverse administrative and data support to UHS Infection Prevention and Safety Committee, staff and program
• Provide initiative on special projects such as updating and streamlining disease reporting processes, Infection prevention related quality improvement projects,
monitoring PPE usage and supplies
• Take lead in scheduling project meetings, tracking and consolidating materials for analysis
Qualifications & Position Criteria
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum of 2 semesters of completed coursework toward a Master’s of Public Health (MPH) degree
• Proficiency using Excel or Google Sheets
• Current 2nd year or rising 2nd year Master’s of Public Health (MPH) students, including those who plan to obtain a Certificate in Healthcare Infection Prevention &
Control (CHIP) or who are focusing on Hospital and Molecular Epidemiology (HME) or Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology (OEE), are preferred and
encouraged to apply.
• Basic-intermediate knowledge of statistics and statistical programs.
Position Criteria (Candidate Characteristics):
● Detail oriented
● Mature, reliable, motivated, and eager to learn
● Excellent communication skills
● Ability to work with cross-functional departments
● Comply with all confidentiality requirements
● Flexible and demonstrate ability to work as part of a diverse team
● Demonstrate interest in infection prevention, surveillance and disease transmission
● Strong interpersonal skills
This is a temporary student appointment
• Weekday business hours, and some weekends (1-3 hours) for reporting urgent reportable infectious illnesses
• Office setting, with possibility of remote work
Most aspects of this position will be performed sitting at a desk, computer supported for communications and workflow.