Job #: 100053
Location: Multiple Locations
Department: Intergroup Relations (IGR)
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
2021 CommonGround Workshop Facilitator
Program: CommonGround, The Program on Intergroup Relations
Position: Workshop Facilitator
Hours: Will vary by week, approximately 15-20 hours per month
Open positions: 5
Time Frame: Winter-Summer (Flexible)
The Program on Intergroup Relations (IGR) is a social justice education program that blends theory and experiential learning to facilitate students’ learning around social group identity, social inequality, and intergroup relations.
CommonGround, a student-run program within IGR, provides workshops for groups of UM students (student organizations, courses, etc.) by request. The workshops aim to raise awareness about social identities, power, privilege, and oppression. CommonGround prepares undergraduate and graduate students to create and facilitate these interactive workshops.
The Workshop Facilitator position is an exciting way to spark change on campus and promote conversation with other students about social identities. We welcome both new/inexperienced and experienced facilitators to join CommonGround. This is an opportunity to develop your facilitation skills and to join a community of undergrad and graduate students committed to pursuing social justice through education at UM.
Workshop facilitators will design and lead workshops for other students. These experiential workshops promote reflection and learning about social identities, inclusive communication, group dynamics, power, privilege, oppression, and more. Through retreats and meetings, facilitators will continue learning together and build listening, inquiry, public speaking, and curriculum development skills.
• Co-facilitate 2-3 workshops per month
• Each workshop requires a 4-hour time commitment on average. This includes creating the agenda with a CommonGround staff member and co-facilitating the workshop with another trained CommonGround facilitator.
• Workshops are scheduled October - Early December and January - Early April, and are held during all hours of the day. Facilitators sign up for workshops based on their availability.
• Attend required 2 hour biweekly (every 2 weeks) meetings throughout the semester
• These meetings are for facilitators to practice facilitation skills, learn new activities, engage in dialogue about different social identity and social justice topics and build and strengthen the CommonGround/IGR community.
• Meetings will begin in February
• Attend required orientation retreat taking place remotely within the following dates January 13-15 from 12:00pm-5:00pm.
● Must be available for all required components (weekend orientation retreat, biweekly meetings)
● Must have blocks of availability some weekday mornings, afternoons, evenings, or weekends to facilitate workshops
○ Workshops come in by request and are scheduled for all different times
● A strong understanding and commitment to social justice education & intergroup relations; knowledge of social identities, power, privilege, and oppression
● Current undergraduate, graduate, or professional student at U-M
Application instructions and hiring process
● Priority Deadline: December 21st, 2020.
● CommonGround staff will schedule interviews with applicants on a rolling basis.
● Submit or have I-9 form on file through Shared Services Center.
● Attend interview with CommonGround staff and learn more about expectations of the role.
● Attend required orientation retreat taking place remotely within the following dates January 13-15 from 12:00pm-5:00pm.
○ The retreat will include, introduction to CommonGround curriculum, building relationships with fellow facilitators and curriculum specialists, and facilitation training.