Job #: 100042
Location: Tappan Auxiliary Building
Department: Dean of Students
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Dean of Students Office Assistant and Parents & Family Weekend Program Assistant
Basic Job Function
This role is divided between providing general support to the activities and programs in the Dean of Students Office and providing direct support to the coordination of Parents & Family Weekend.
The Dean of Students Office promotes student development and enhances students’ Michigan experience through programs, services, partnerships/connections, and policy development that promotes an inclusive campus climate and facilitates the successful navigation of campus life.
Parents & Family Weekend (PFW) is a program within the Dean of Students Office and Division of Student Life designed to provide parents and families with the opportunity to visit their Michigan student and experience campus life. It is a weekend filled with performances, athletic events, exhibits, and more. PFW occurs in October or November.
● Assist in creation and maintenance of office files and databases
● Regularly review media U-M (Social Media, Michigan Daily) for current trends, topics, etc.
● Maintain accurate calendars for Associate and Assistant Deans, Critical Incident staff, and other staff members in the Dean of Students Office
● Pick up, sort, and distribute mail
● Manage ongoing and immediate projects in support of Expect Respect, Bias Incident Prevention and Response, Beyond the Diag, the Blavin Scholars Program, and/or the Dean of Students Advisory Board
● Produce and edit documents
● Maintain inventory of office supplies
● Maintain a neat and presentable work area
● Provide back-up support for Administrative Assistant
● Other duties as assigned
● Welcome guests to the Dean of Students suite and triage appropriately
● Provide excellent, timely, and sensitive customer service in a fast-paced and private environment
● Answer a multi-line telephone; take detailed and accurate messages and communicate them effectively with appropriate staff member
● Handle communications, information, and data with sensitivity and privacy
Parents & Family Weekend - Minimum of 5 hours per week (will fluctuate at certain times of the year) Ongoing Responsibilities:
● Provide excellent customer service
● Answer questions from parents and family members via phone and email
● Answer heavy volume of phone calls on registration day
● Develop copy for marketing materials
● Coordinate student volunteers for PFW Check-In and the PFW Tailgate
● Organize registration data in Excel and Google Sheets
Week/Weekend of PFW:
● Deliver and pick up materials at various locations on campus in the weeks leading up to PFW
● Assist during the event weekend, including student volunteer check-in, event set-up, and other duties as assigned
● Other duties as assigned
● Students are expected to maintain the privacy of the office and effectively manage their time while working.
● Reasonable knowledge of and ability to use standard business software and computer applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and general office equipment is necessary.
● Candidates must be able to work with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students and to follow both verbal and written instructions. A high attention to detail and level of accountability is also expected.
● Summer availability is required. Hours will decrease at the start of Fall Semester, with some increase at the time of Parents & Family Weekend.
● Availability the weekend of October 4-6, 2019 is REQUIRED. Friday,October 4 hours will accommodate class schedule
● Summer availability is desired, but not required. Hours will accommodate class schedule.
● The Dean of Students Office is open 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Student office assistants cover the front desk 10am-4pm. Students must be available to work some (not all) of these hours during the week to be considered for this position.
This job will provide the student with the opportunity to function in a fast-paced, multi-faceted student affairs operation while learning event planning, program coordination and logistics, administrative processes, and office management operations in a higher education setting.
Hours: 5 to 15 hours per week
Time Frame: Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter
Start Date: May 7th, 2019