Job #: 100041
Location: Tappan Auxiliary Building
Department: Dean of Students
Resume Required? Yes
Work-Study? Either, Work-Study or Non-Work-Study Available
Basic Job Function
Provide office support to the activities and programs in the Dean of Students Office. The Dean of Students Office promotes student development and enhances students’ Michigan experience through programs, services, partnerships/connections, and policy development that promotes an inclusive campus climate and facilitates the successful navigation of campus life.
● Assist in creation and maintenance of office files and databases
● Regularly review media (U-M Social Media and Michigan Daily) for current trends, topics, etc.
● Maintain accurate calendars for Associate and Assistant Deans, Critical Incident staff, and other staff members in the Dean of Students Office. Pick up, sort, and distribute mail. Assist with event/program set-up and take down.
● Manage ongoing and immediate projects in support of Expect Respect, Bias Incident Prevention and Response, Beyond the Diag, the Blavin Scholars Program, Parents & Family Weekend, and/or the Dean of Students Advisory Board. Maintain inventory of office supplies
● Maintain a neat and presentable work area
● Provide back-up support for Administrative Assistant
● Welcome guests to the Dean of Students Office and triage appropriately
● Provide excellent, timely, and sensitive customer service in a fast-paced and private environment
● Answer a multi-line telephone; take detailed and accurate messages and communicate them effectively with appropriate staff member
● Handle communications, information, and data with sensitivity and privacy
● Other duties as assigned
● Students are expected to maintain the privacy of the office and effectively manage their time while working.
● Reasonable knowledge of and ability to use standard business software and computer applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and general office equipment is necessary.
● Candidates must be able to work with a diverse group of faculty, staff, and students and to follow both verbal and written instructions. A high attention to detail and level of accountability is also expected.
● Summer hours are available, but not required.
● The Dean of Students Office is open 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Student office assistants cover the front desk 10am-4pm. Students must be available to work some (not all) of these hours during the week to be considered for this position.
This job will provide the student with the opportunity to function in a fast-paced, multi-faceted student affairs operation while learning administrative processes and office management operations in a higher education setting.
Hours: 3-15 per week
Time Frame: Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter
Start Date: May 7th, 2019